Okay time for a fun post! Several weeks ago I got a super sweet bloggie award from Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life.The fun part about this is that I get to share some crazy info about myself that some of you all might not know, as well as pass the award onto others.
The rules of the Stylish Blogger award are as follows:
1. Share 7 things about yourself.
2. Tag some fellow bloggers.
3. Contact bloggers and let them know you tagged them.
Okay… easy enough! I share a lot about myself on my About Me and FAQ page so I had to dig a little deeper here to come of with some fun facts and pictures… here goes!
1. I have a super tight and close relationship with both my mom and dad. Probably more so than your average 27-year-old gal. I work with my mother and live a short 30 min away from her. She really is my best friend. Although my dad is up in northern MN, our relationship is still really strong and we talk on the phone nearly every other day and skype at least once a week. Call me crazy but my parents are just there for me. They both know me so well and and have shown me amazing unconditional love over the years. I haven’t always been the best child but they have been there through it all. I consider myself incredibly lucky and blessed. I think our relationship really blossomed during recovery of my eating disorder. They were my support and my rock and I don’t think I could have done it without them.
2. I come from a family of pilots and skydivers. No joke! My mother and father are both pilots (only my dad is current), and I have a plethora of aunts, uncles and cousins that also fly. My parents were really into skydiving in their early years and my mom even set a world record for most jumpers in a formation back in the early eighties. Rock on mom!! Here’s the thing… I wouldn’t go skydiving if you paid me! It scares the crap out of me. I’ll do just about anything else. I’m an avid SCUBA diver and have some pretty impressive and deep dives under my belt, I love roller coasters, mountain climbing, and just about everything else. But jumping out of an airplane? Never. Ever. Sorry folks.
My mom, back in her skydiving days. Just coming off a jump.
I’d rather dive into the ocean than fall out of the sky any day.
3. I love critters. Especially snakes, frogs, lizards, bugs, spiders… all of it. I love it. Call me crazy ;) In another life I’d probably be a herpetologist (scientist that studies reptiles). When my dad and I went to Costa Rica a few years ago I found out about a night bug-watching tour and begged him to go with me. Of course my dad gave in but I’ll never forget the look on his face when it starting raining in the middle of the night, in the jungle, and we were crawling around on our hands and knees looking for spiders and frogs. He looked at me and said I wouldn’t have done this for anyone else, just so you know. LOL. What a sport!
My dad and I on our bug-watching tour. Costa Rica, 2007
Oh yeah, here is the kicker. Promise you won’t stop following my blog or think I’m a complete freak when I share this k? Promise??? Promise!?!? …. ;) I have a pet tarantula. I call her Bettie Page. She lives in an aquarium in my walk-in closet, so my cats won’t bother her. She has a mild venom, but if she ever bit me it would do minimal harm. Think of a bee sting. And no, I’ve never been bitten. She’s actually really sweet. I handle her sometimes, but she prefers her solitude. I buy live crickets and meal worms from the pet store and feed her about once a week. She’s harmless really. And absolutely fascinating. I have 2 bearded dragons too.
Tang and Thor, my two beardies.
4. I’m a huge math nerd. I love numbers, figures, statistics, flow-charts and spread sheets. Okay, maybe I’m just a nerd in general. I’m currently studying accounting in business school and I absolutely love it. Ideally I’d love to get my masters and maybe even a PhD, and become a college accounting or statistics professor. Yes, I realize this puts me into mega-nerd zone, but I need some steady income and benefits while I enjoy my hobby of cooking vegan food and possibly opening a restaurant, catering company and writing a cookbook on the side. Okay, so I have lots of goals. But I’ll always love numbers.
5. Aside from SCUBA diving, I’m also quite obsessed with sailing. This started in childhood with the influence of my father. Many of our family vacations were spent sailing somewhere in the Caribbean. When I retire, I’d love to give up my land-home and buy a huge sail boat and sail all over the world. Last summer I took a fabulous vacation and spent 3 weeks sailing the Greek Islands with my Dad, step-mom and some other friends. It was the ultimate vacation! I feel most relaxed and at peace while on the water.
6. In high school, I didn’t really blossom until senior year
. Although I struggled with an eating disorder for most of junior year, it wasn’t really until after my recovery that I finally grew boobs, started working out and slimmed down, and started dating. It took me an awfully long time. I was the shy nerdy girl for many, many years. I always had lots of friends, both guys and girls, but my experience with dating was non-existant for a long time. I didn’t even get kissed until I was 17! Sheesh!!! Can anyone else relate? ha! But then my first boyfriend dumped me, and I was crushed. So I went to prom with one of my best guy friends instead. We had a blast! I found this pic the other day while searching through boxes for pictures to put into a scrapbook I’m making my girlfriend. I had to share because J and I got in touch again recently, and I found out he has a cooking blog
too! Although he’s a complete carnivore I like to pop over and say hello once and awhile. This one’s for you J!
7. I’m a bit of an oxy-moron when it comes to cleanliness. I’m an OCD clean freak when it comes to my house, but my car is a complete disaster, I can never keep up with my laundry and I hate to shower. Okay, I know that is gross. But sometimes I’ll go like 3 days without a shower. LOL. Or maybe just a quick rinse in between, but the hair washing will definitely go for days. It is just so damn time consuming, and I usually have better things to do! (Lame excuse I know). But I’m very OCD about my surroundings. Dirty floors bother me the most. I usually sweep and vacuum about 3 times a week, and dirty or smudged glass drives me crazy!! So what gives? Why do I care more about the windows and floors than myself? LOL. I have no clue.
I think I’m about 3 or 4 in this picture. Quite content, sitting on our dock in Land ‘O Lakes, FL, making mud pies. What little girl wouldn’t want to do this?? ;)
Well, there you have it! Seven crazy things you perhaps didn’t know about me. Hopefully the tarantula and my shower habits didn’t scare you away too much ;) Here’s the fun part! I’m tagging 7 bloggers to follow through with the Stylish Blog Award. But, before I do this, here’s a disclaimer. I follow lots of blogs. Tons of blogs in fact. I try to keep a pretty active and updated blog roll (on my side bar) with all of the blogs I follow and the bloggers that follow me. It only displays 25 at a time, listing the blogs that have updated most recently, but if you click that little button that says show all, you will see the many many blogs I read. If you want to be on it, all you have to do is ask! As long as your blog falls into the realm of hobbies and lifestyles that I support, I’ll add you. And no, you don’t have to be a vegetarian or vegan for me to follow your blog. I follow tons of blogs, mostly healthy lifestyle and cooking blogs, but lately some fashion, home decorating and arts and craft blogs. I love blogs. They inspire me, motivate me, and give me some amazing reading each and every day. Thank you blog world for being so incredibly awesome.
The following 7 blogs are some cool blogger gals that I have discovered recently, and I’m happy to spread a little love in their direction. Click on some links and support fellow bloggers, because that’s what it’s all about folks, spreadin’ the love!
Vivianne @ Greek Yogurte – I love Viv’s blog because she’s very open, honest, and has such a lovely spirit. She shares personal stories about life and her recovery from an eating disorder, along with healthy lifestyle tips and yummy eats. She’s inspirational and a beautiful girl inside and out.
Ragnhild @ Vegan Aphrodite – Ragnhild blogs from Norway. I love reading blogs from overseas because it’s a wonderfully different and refreshing perspective on food, culture and life. She has a vegan blog and posts lots of yummy eats, fitness routines and entertaining ideas. She cooks vegan foods for her non-veg friends and they still love it! You go girl!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean
– I first fell in love with this lady because she shares my name, duh! Haha, joking aside her blog is an amazing healthy lifestyle and cooking blog. Her recipes always blow me away, and leave me itching to run into my kitchen to try them!
Katie @ Lil Veggie Patch
– Katie’s blog is fun and flirty. She posts lots of yummy eats and recipes and blogs about her life, travels and healthy lifestyle. She always seems to make me laugh too. Love this gal.
Mercedes @ Cultivating Consciousness
– This girl is a complete sweetheart. I discovered her recently after she left a few comments on my blog. See, it pays to comment people! ;) Mercedes has a healthy lifestyle blog, where she focuses on both the physical and spiritual aspect of healthy living. Her posts always leave me thinking, and I really enjoy her take on life and healthy recipes.
Lee @ In My Tummy
– Another recent discovery. Lee’s blog is really uplifting and motivating. She posts about healthy living and yummy eats, along with fitness and running tips and info. She loves food, photography and does graphic design (just like me!) so it’s easy to see why I fell in love with her blog :)
Jessica @ Dishin’ About Nutrition
– I love Jessica’s blog because it’s packed full of information! I always learn something when I read her blog. She posts about healthy eating and nutrition, fitness, food and recipes and environmentally friendly ideas and info. Love it.
By the way, I met a lot of these gals through Jenn @ Peas and Crayons
fabulous What I Ate Wednesday’s link parties
, so I owe this gal a shout out too! Love your blog Jenn, you always leave me laughing, smiling and thinking, what can I tackle next? ;)
So these are just a few of the many blogs I read and love. If you feel inspired, share some interesting info about yourselves ladies, and pass the Stylish Blog Award along. Love you all!