These little muffins are gems! Seriously, I think they taste better than wedding cake. In fact, when I get married, I want a whole tier of my cake to be this exact recipe. No joke. Let me add that they are vegan, low-fat (absolutely no oil in the recipe), and healthy (pumped full of whole grain flour and freshly grated zucchini!). OMG they are to die for. The recipe is another one from Happy Herbivore’s cookbook. It’s definitely my favorite one so far.
Plus, Happy Herbivore gives out the recipe on her blog so please check it out! I made a few high altitude adjustments so if you are at sea level follow the blog recipe for sure. She lists adding dark chocolate chips as an option. It is not an option folks. You MUST. It gives the muffin that ooey gooey “naughty” feeling when you bite into them fresh out of the oven. yummm.
High Altitude Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
1 1/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c. raw organic sugar
1/4 c. vanilla soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. finely shredded zucchini
1/4 c. vegan chocolate chips or carob chips
**Preheat over to 365 degrees
1. Line muffin pan with paper liners or grease with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in large bowl. Whisk together to combine.
3. In a separate bowl combine applesauce, soy milk, sugar and zucchini and stir to combine. Add chocolate chips.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to incorporate.
5. Spoon batter into muffin pan or muffin liners.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Optional: Top with a vegan frosting or glaze of your choice! They are sweet enough without, but frosting usually makes baked goods more kid-friendly :)
I’m thinking of making these for my girl friend’s bridal shower next month. Yowza! Can’t wait to knock the sox off everyone with this wholesome vegan low-fat sinfully delicious muffin.