Sweet and Sour Tofu Stir Fry
1 pack extra firm tofu, pressed and drained of extra liquid **If making gluten free, make sure to read the label for gluten content. Not all tofus are gluten free**
1 c. broccoli, chopped
1 c. cauliflower, chopped
1/2 med sweet onion, chopped
1 cup cubed pineapple
1/2 cup red and yellow pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots
2 Tbs. sunflower oil
Homemade Sweet ‘N Sour Sauce
1/2 c. agave nectar syrup
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/2 cup citrus juice (you can use orange, pineapple or nectarine)
1 Tbs. Tamari (or soy sauce)
1/4 cup water
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/2 Tbs. Sriracha hot sauce
1. Chop up all veggies and set aside.
2. Combine water, vinegar, tamari, citrus juice, sriracha and agave nectar syrup in small pan. Heat over stovetop on medium heat, stirring to combine.
3. Once liquid begins to simmer add corn starch. Continue to stir until you bring it to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and leave aside. It will thicken up like this.
4. Add 1 Tbs. sunflower oil (or some other high-heat tolerant oil) to large saute pan or wok. Add cubed tofu.
5. Keep heat on HIGH and toss continuously. Add about 1/2 cup sweet n’ sour sauce.
6. Continue to toss tofu, browning on all sides and cooking until all liquid is absorbed.
7. Remove tofu from saute pan and set aside. Add another Tbs. of sunflower oil to pan and add chopped veggies.
8. Add remaining sweet n’ sour sauce and stir-fry until cooked. Right before serving, toss in crispy tofu and coat with sauce.
Serve over brown rice and enjoy!
I served my sweet n’ sour stir fry with some roasted beet, apple and pecan salad. Recipe to follow this week! :)
Also, don’t forget to take part in my Happy Herbivore cookbook giveaway!! Check out this post for all the details. Easy breezy, just leave a comment and you could win a copy of this fabulous vegan cookbook :)